Tag Archives: Hardware

Nokia acquires Alcatel-Lucent for 15.6 billion Euros

Nokia announced that it reached an agreement to buy Alcatel-Lucent for 15.6 billion Euros (about $16.6 billion) in a share exchange. In the end Alcatel-Lucent’s shareholders will own 33.5% of the combined share capital while Nokia’s shareholders will own the remaining 66.5%. The company involved is the “true” Nokia, not the Devices & Services unit sold to Microsoft in 2013.
Continue reading

Posted in Technology | Tagged , | Leave a comment

IBM increases its commitment in the medical field with the project Watson Health

IBM’s cognitive computing system Watson has already been used in recent years in health projects. In recent days, IBM announced a new commitment in this field with the creation of the business unit Watson Health devoted to developing solutions to improve the quality and effectiveness of health care by customizing it to individual needs.
Continue reading

Posted in Technology | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Chef Watson is a version of IBM cognitive computing system that creates new recipes

In recent years, IBM has been adapting the technology of its cognitive computing system Watson to many different activities. Lately, it’s also launching Chef Watson, a version of this intelligence artificial that specializes in inventing new recipes. The idea is to get it to recognize people’s tastes to provide customized recipes.

Cognitive computing aims to reproduce human thought. In the case of recipes, the process is called “cognitive cooking”. For the training necessary to make it learn this art, Chef Watson analyzed thousands of recipes including the database of 9,000 recipes of the magazine “Bon Appétit” and studied the Wikipedia files to learn associations among different ingredients and different cuisines.
Continue reading

Posted in Technology | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Intel and Micron announce a 3D NAND technology for a new generation flash memory

Intel and Micron have announced a new technology for the production of 3D NAND flash memory. With its 32 layers of flash cells, it will allow to get a storage capacity three times higher than competitor NAND technologies in a “die”, a block of semiconductor material on which electronic circuits were created, of standard size. The result are 256 GB dies in the MLC (Multi Level Cell) type and 384 GB in the (Triple Level Cell) type.
Continue reading

Posted in Technology | Tagged , | Leave a comment

A class action against Lenovo for the Superfish adware

The story of Lenovo computers with the Superfish adware preinstalled that causes a huge security hole started having legal consequences too. The first report arrived about a class-action filed in federal court against both Lenovo and Superfish, the company that produced the adware.

Her name is Jessica Bennett and she’s the owner of a Lenovo Yoga 2 PC, one of the models that were sold for a few weeks with the Superfish adware preinstalled. The plaintiff said that she noticed spam advertising with scantily clad women on her laptop. Initially she thought she suffered a hacking but searching on the Internet she found out that other people noticed something similar on other Lenovo laptops.

After discovering that her problem was due to a Superfish adware, Jessica Bennett decided to sue both Lenovo and Superfish. The allegations are that they compromised her PC’s security but also of invasion of privacy for financial gain.
Continue reading

Posted in Technology | Tagged , , | Leave a comment